Keeping pigs is becoming increasingly popular across the UK. Pigs make great pets and looking after them can be deeply rewarding. Due to their size, they do require commitment in terms of care and lifestyle.
One of the most important things to consider when buying pigs is where you will keep them. How you decide to keep and house your pigs will be a vital decision that will impact their happiness as well as your ability to care for them.
Pigs are relatively large animals and as a result require a lot of space. If you live in the city with a tiny balcony, I’m afraid keeping pigs is just not feasible. However, if you have a good amount of land available and are up for the challenge, then keeping pigs is a great way to use that space.
It’s worthwhile getting step up with a space for keeping your pigs before you actually get them. This will mean you can ensure everything is ready for their arrival.
So what steps should you take when buying pig arks and pens?
There are 2 main things to consider when setting up a space for keeping pigs –
- Its location
- Its features
Location of Pig Ark
The location of your pig ark will play a big part in how effective it is. You want to ensure it has:
- Lots of space – inside and outside. Pigs needs space to move around so you want to locate your pig ark in an area that has access to lots of space. Pigs are also very social animals so it’s good to keep a group of pigs together. This means having enough space for them all to move around. Pigs tend to huddle together when they sleep, however, to ensure they stay heathy, they need space to keep active. Locating a pig ark which is contained in a fenced off area dedicated for the pigs is the best way to ensure they are happy.
- Shade – pigs have trouble regulating their body temperature (which is why they roll in mud so much). As a result, you want to make sure the pigs aren’t in direct sunlight the whole time and that they have shaded areas to cool down in. Try to make the area as natural as possible. Having trees and shrubs provides a real environment for them to live in.
- Not an area that floods – pig houses will get muddy so you want to have good drainage. Areas prone to flooding will cause issues as you’ll have to move the pig ark in such occasions. You’ll also want to ensure the pig ark is raised slightly to ensure it doesn’t sink in the mud.
Important Features of a Pig Ark
To get the most out of your pig ark, you’ll want to ensure it has some key features, such as:
- Strong walls – pig arks usually come in the curved shape. Pigs will often lean against the walls so it’s important the structure is study and secure, so it can withstand the weight of the pigs.
- Cosy – pigs enjoy a cosy space to sleep in. Investing in good bedding and a safe place for them to sleep is very important for their wellbeing.
- Fencing around pig ark – pigs are very powerful so strong and secure fencing is a must as pigs are strong animals that can get passed flimsy fences.
For help choosing a pig ark, get in touch today with one of our expert.